News from the Baylor Ecosystem
BCM faculty, clinicians, researchers, and staff are advancing medicine and changing the ways we deliver and access care. Here we feature an array of information channels to keep you up to date with the latest advancements from the BCM community, including:
- Momentum, which spans health news, medical education updates, healthcare, community, and events around BCM
- From the Labs, which spotlights new and innovative bench science from BCM researchers.
- The Stitch, which shares the expertise of researchers and clinicians in the Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery as well as the voices of patients who have undergone surgery and found healing.
- PolicyWise, which explores the full spectrum of health and science policy, from public health to emerging biotechnologies.
- BCM News, which features the headlines-making accomplishments of researchers, faculty, and staff from across BCM.
- Progress Notes, which shares students' stories from the clinics, their thoughts on medicine and healthcare, and stories from the frontlines of research.
- BCM Family, which helps you catch up on news from Baylor College of Medicine posted on the BCM Family newsletter online.
Novel molecule disrupts several molecular pathways that lead to cancer growth
BCM researchers have identified a novel molecule that disrupts multiple molecular pathways contributing to cancer growth, underscoring its potential as a multi-targeted therapeutic approach in cancer treatment.
E-Tobacco Protocol Integrates Intervention Into EHRs
The new e-Tobacco Protocol, a referral tool built into electronic health records, allows physicians to assist both adult and adolescent patients in tobacco cessation, especially vital amidst the rising use of e-cigarettes among minors.
Updated weight loss surgery guidelines offer new hope
Updated weight loss surgery guidelines provide renewed hope for individuals seeking effective solutions for obesity management, reflecting advancements in surgical techniques and expanded eligibility criteria, ultimately offering a promising pathway for improved health outcomes.
What becoming a patient taught me about responsible opioid prescribing
Policywise explores how the personal experience of becoming a patient underscores the importance of responsible opioid prescribing, emphasizing the need for comprehensive pain management strategies that prioritize patient well-being and safety while addressing the ongoing opioid crisis.
Can changing the gut microbiome alter the course of a disease?
From the Labs explores the potential impact the gut microbiome on disease progression, highlighting the growing interest in the role of gut health in various conditions and suggesting the possibility of novel therapeutic interventions centered around manipulating the microbiome.
Is red meat intake linked to inflammation?
Momentum examines the potential association between red meat consumption and inflammation, shedding light on the ongoing debate surrounding the health implications of dietary choices and emphasizing the need for balanced nutrition to maintain overall well-being.